Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Superbowl

Ok, nerds.. this ones for you.  I'm not talking about the game where small balls are thrown between grown men who finally found a paycheck in beating other people up (here's where the mom's all sigh and wonder if the disciplining is worth it).  No, this is My kind of Superbowl... a Political Superbowl.  Granted, it couldn't get much more exciting than November of 2010, aka, the "Great Shellacking," but this is still exciting stuff for a geek like me.

Every year, on a Tuesday night, at the end of January, the television stations are taken over by news junkies, and caring Americans, (you know, those ones all "sitting around the dinner table"... as our politicians refer to us), gathering together to watch the State of the Union Address.    The State of the Union... isn't it always strong according to the President?  We all know it has issues, so I don't feel the need to use this blog for political pandering.  Instead, I would like to highlight why I think it's so fun watching this seemingly boring, hour long speech. 

When I was young, my family would never have pegged me for a politically charged adult.  I was too busy watching Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman to care about what was happening with the rest of America.  But as I got older, and learned that if I want to vote I should probably care about what I'm voting for... the speech all of a sudden became relevant.  Plus, I would do anything to impress my Dad that yes, his little Kimmy could hold her own in a discussion revolving around politics.

So to me, the banters back and forth, the standing and sitting like a Catholic Mass... and the MASSIVE eye rolls coming from behind the President (currently filled by the Republican Speaker John Boehner).. are all entertaining acts that could rival a good sports game.  Followed by the news commentators who tallied the number of claps, pauses, sits, laughs, and every detail enclosed in the speech.. is just sometimes what this girl needs to feel like someone else gets my world.  (I swear some of my best friends are living within my TV... they just don't happen to know who I am). 

I hope you watched it.  I hoped you learned something, and I hope you search more into what the President was saying to find out if you really agree or disagree with what was put forward.  But I have to go now.... The Republican response is on... and I am a major fan of Paul Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment