Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mom Guilt

If given a quiz on who is the least outdoorsy among my three sisters, hands down everyone would answer Kim.. and pass with flying colors. 
I've never been one to love nature, at least from within nature.  I like to look at it from within a car window, a house window, away from bugs, poison ivy, cold, and uncomfortable temperatures.  Not to say I'm lazy, because I promise I could run circles around most people from inside the house.  But I just don't enjoy picking weeds or building snowmen as much as some might. 
So, as a result, I begin to get the twinge of "Mom guilt" that we all get from time to time (or from minute to minute), of how my children were cooped up in this house all day long with a mom who did not for one second want to go play in the snow. 
Then, after I began to realize that apparently all you other moms love to freeze your behinds off just to get a smile out of your kids... well, let's just say I wanted the guilt voices to stop and strapped on my best boots and warmest scarf.  Oh yes, and they loved it. 
So now this household is trying, however minimally, to participate in what others call Winter Fun.  I still don't think it's that fun.  It's really cold out there folks... but the kids somehow forget that their fingers look as if they will break off, and have a blast. 
I still reserve the snowman building for Daddy... because as Callie would say, "That's just not my favorite."  But I'm trying.  We even took Callie to her very first ice skating session today.  To which I flashed back to my days as a young 8 yr. old when I too thought I would be the next Kristi Yamaguchi.  (She won gold if anyone is confused).  Then again, didn't everyone have that dream?  But apparently you have to be able to jump, and spin at the same time to make it to the big leagues.  So for now, Callie and I will just stick to trying to keep our feet on the ice, and not in the air
At least the mom guilt is slowly passing with every snow flake they eat, and my couches are getting a break from three little gymnasts. 


2 comments:

  1. Okay that's funny! I too do not enjoy "playing" outside in the freezing cold! Luckily I have a husband who enjoys dressing up like a mountain man, spending hours out there doing "man things", while letting Madison play! I enjoy waiting inside with "hot cocoa", then everyone is happy :)
    (Side note: if hubby is not home, just dress warmly and watch from the sliding glass door, ready only if they need you! No mom guilt needed here!)

    ReplyDelete