Sunday, January 2, 2011

Why I Do, and Do Not

I have an amazing friend that I met during our brief two year stint in Cleveland, Ohio.  I worked with her at Ryan Homes, and this post is because of her.
She is the fiercest advocate I know to the importance of being a stay at home mom.  She believes that the most important job she could ever do here on earth, is to parent her three boys.  It is because of her, and Jesus, that I have peace and contentment in knowing that what I do as a mom matters.
So this post is hopefully not meant to offend those who do not choose to stay home.  But instead my hope is to give a voice to those who do. Slightly in defense to the outer world who often label us as unimportant, or old fashioned, and slightly to allow others to really ponder the choices that they have made. 
Contrary to the majority of public opinion, I do not stay home because I am unable to get a job.  I am well educated.  I do not stay at home because I prefer to "waste my education and talent."  I don't consider teaching my kids history, math, English, and business a waste.  I think of it as a good investment in the future of the country.  I do not stay home because I am lazy, and cannot handle an 8 hour work day.  My day actually is never really over.  It's just a rotating cycle.  I do not stay home because my husband is uber rich, and we just don't need the money.  Law School is expensive, if you're wondering.  Sacrificing in this house is a daily event.  We don't get to have lush vacations every year.  And if we are blessed to be able to go, like our Disney Vacation last year... it's because we have loving friends who include us for free, or because we have saved the rest of the year to be able to make it work. 
I stay home because children are innocent, and have been given to me by my loving Creator.  He entrusted them to me to teach them, train them, correct them, and lead them to him.  I could do that after work hours, and on the weekends... but kids ask questions all through every day, every hour.  And I prefer to be the one answering them. 
I stay home because although my parents and Kevin's parents are incredible grandparents, I want them to remain in that role.  I want Kevin and I to be the primary disciplinarians, not my parents. And in our experience.. kids need a lot of disciplining between the hours of 8am to 5pm.  They are here to spoil, love, and teach.  They have raised their kids, and it's my job to raise mine.
I stay home because my husband works a busy job, and it makes our family operate so much better.  I'm not the best cook,.. but I do.  I'm a great cleaner, and his clothes get clean.  Our house is crazy with 3 toddlers running around.  I can't imagine what it would be like if I was not here to help things along during the day.
I stay home because I feel that as a Christian, there is not a higher calling than to raise the future generations of Christ followers. The Bible is not specific on a must do/ or do not stay home statue.  But it is clear on the importance of children, on the innocence of children, and on the value that Jesus placed on them.
I stay home, most importantly, because my husband was raised by a stay at home mom.  He has been forever grateful to her for the sacrifices she made to make that happen.  Eggs have a deeper meaning to him, because she made them for him every morning.  Personal devotions are ingrained in him because she was there reading at the kitchen table every morning.  I can't help but to think that if my boys turn out to be anything like my husband, this stay at home job was completely worth every penny that I didn't make.   
I feel fortunate to be surrounded by friends who value these same ideals, and who encourage me on my way through it.  Maybe if we would all give each other a technology high five, or a simple phone call every so often, we could listen less to the world, and more to each other.

2 comments:

  1. one techie high five from this work at home mom. wish i were just a "stay" instead of a "work", but at least I'm at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally jealous. I know that must sound ridiculous because being a SAHM is HARD work but I wish we were in the financial position to do this. I work part time now and we're working very hard to get to a place where I can be a SAHM. Don't listen to the world! Your "job" is the best there is!

    ReplyDelete