Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cancelled; Again?

Cancellation days in the Midwest are among my least favorite reasons for living here.  Generally, I love the temperature changes, the distinct four seasons, and a 70 degree December day thrown in once in a while.  But when January rolls around, and we are already cooped up in the house more than normal, it feels like a double whammy when school is closed too. 
Like today, for example.  Monday was off due to Martin Luther King, ok, I get that.  But today, in the face of a slight freezing rain and chilly temps, they don't think it's wise to send kids to school.  Why not folks?  They will be inside the entire day anyway.  Don't school officials think of us moms at all and our social calendars when they cancel?  Do they not realize that on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, my social network is standing outside of the preschool door?  I live for 11:20am.  My time to catch a glimpse of what an adult conversation is like, and to remember that my vocabulary spans beyond "Please don't hit your brother," and "stop taking  your pants off."  
So, I'm just a mom, asking you big wigs, to take some time, next time, to consider My time.  I've got a mini-van that can make it just about anywhere.  I'll trudge through that non-existing snow to get that sweet girl to her gym class.  Because as of now, I'm still in my robe, drinking my coffee, loosing all sense of motivation to get dressed just so I can fold that laundry pile.  It's the Midwest for goodness sake.  I think we are used to the cold temps enough that we should be able to put socializing, Learning, above our own convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment