Monday, January 17, 2011

"We Have Arrived"

As a new parents (granted, we've only been veterans for 4 years).. we started to recognize moments where we would tell each other, "we have arrived."  Meaning, holy cow, our kid is doing something that we only dreamed they would be able to do someday, definitely not this day.  And, as a brand new parent, frankly you just don't think your kid will ever make it beyond a bottle every 4 hours, a poop every 2, and a crying fit in between each one.  (Am I right new moms?). 
For example, at 3 months, when I took Callie to visit my sister Sarah and my 12 month old niece, Lily.. I'm pretty sure I cried when Sarah casually handed Lily a cracker in the back seat of the car.  Which she knew how to eat without choking herself.  To a mom of a baby... that is like a magical dream that will never happen.  Good news though, 4 yr old Callie does just fine now with an entire McDonald's lunch in the back seat.  No choking fits yet.
So these, "We have arrived" moments continue as our kids get older.  The first time you find them dressed on their own, no matter how ugly the outfit, the first time they handle a cup without a lid (without spilling every oz of milk), the first time you can trust them on the swing set without standing in an umpire position ready to catch all falls. 
And these go on.  For me, I think I've made it to the big leagues when I finally realized that I could shower, upstairs, with my kids, downstairs, and not have to worry that 2 would be unconscious when I returned.  Really.. when you taste that freedom, it's like you got your life back.... or at least your hair back.  
But the biggest milestone we hit this weekend, was at Callie's request.  She finally wanted to rid herself of a stinky bath with her brothers, and shower,.. all. by. herself! 
Of course the entire family watched from beyond the curtain like a 4 person cheer leading squad.  Encouraging, checking, wiping her eyes, and helping with the soap.  But she still did it.  Flashes of my little girl shaving, dating, and moving out all blended into one scary thought those short 5 minutes.
We still have a lot of arrival moments to look forward to in the future.  But we like the small ones for now.  Let's us know we are still needed... and not too un-cool yet. 

2 comments:

  1. Kenna started doing this in my last couple weeks of pregnancy, which by the way, was VERY helpful in my giant belly state. But I totally felt the same way. It was such a "big" thing to do and she was so proud of herself... we totally cheered too. Congrats on this new moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally just thought of the shaving thing when you said showering on her own - WOW and yes you are right as a new mom it is hard to see beyond the stage you are in.... but i am fine with that right now not ready for him to be dressing himself :( they grow so fast - you are such a good mom and so encouraging to all of us mom's out there who read your blog :) LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete