Tuesday, November 30, 2010

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

The one REAL tree that Kevin and I bought was (go figure) when we lived downtown Cleveland.  He was so kind that he agreed to my crazy dream of hoisting it on the Corolla, finding a close-enough spot to park, and walking it up 3 flights of stairs.  All so that Garth, our cat, could eat it and shed all over every bottom branch.  But it was real, and I was thrilled. 
Since then, we've been happy with a fake one I got for a Dollar (yep, one big one) at a garage sale.  Every year, I tell myself I'm over it, and a real one is replacing the dust grabbing one sitting in our basement.  But somehow, that tree finds it's way back in our family room, adorned with lights, ornaments, and Crate and Barrel's version of tinsel. 
Sad as I was that after reviewing this months budget, and discovering that a real one was out of the picture (did you see how many people were here for Thanksgiving??)... Kevin was quick to catch on that if he played along with my little game, the beginning of this merry season would be a lot merrier. 
So we faked it.  Let's be honest.  Part of the reason I wanted the whole experience of getting a tree as a family was so that I could blog about it later.  (Blogs are all about making your lame life sound cool).  And if we couldn't have the Norman Rockwell version... we were going to make the Mitchell back woods version.  Which is all about putting on ridiculous hats, acting as if the basement back room is a lush tree garden... and the steps are mounds of snow that you must cross to get your purchase home.  And.. after I discovered that Kevin is a terrible tree fluffer... it actually surprised me how alright the tree looks.  It just needs a little extra love every year.  Of which I am willing to give, if it will save me some cash.. and my marriage.
Laugh if you may.  At least I have pictures that I can look back on one day as I stare at my magnificent real tree that my some day budget didn't even notice. 

What a find!  A pre- assembled tree in that chaos of a tree farm

Good thing he wore his hat.  I hear basements forests can get chilly

Bet you didn't find ornaments included in your Real Tree

Jack giving a tour of the finished product

At least this year I can do without the ugly white gate around the tree!
 Better luck next year Mitchells... maybe we should grow our own Christmas tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment