Thursday, November 11, 2010

She is my Sunshine

When Callie was born we lived in a one bedroom condo in the heart of downtown Cleveland, Ohio.  It was perfectly smashed right between the Indians and Bulls stadiums, and therefore was left wanting for extra space.  So we generously shared our small bedroom with her pack n play.. and I was left to dream of the room that I would one day create for her.  
The next place we moved was yet again, another small space.  And although she did have her own room this time, our first apartment was just that... an apartment, and therefore those dreams were again put on hold. 
Another year later, my sweet little 2 1/2 yr old got her first fully pink room in our first real house.  Being the creative type, I thought it was a magnificent idea to go the extra mile and free-hand paint a huge (really.. huge) flower on her wall to match her perfect Pottery Barn bedding.  (Disclaimer... it was purchased off of the clearance rack.. and was appropriately named "Callie".. which is of course why I bought it).  But fashionista Callie became traumatized by that ginormous flower.  Crawling into our bed at night claiming that, "The flower kept me up" or.. "Mommy the flower is scaring me.  Please paint over it!"  Good job me. 
Later I learned that pink wasn't her color after all.  How could I have known just how cool Purple had become in the circles of 4 year olds?  Apparently all of her friends were doing it.  So she convinced me that if we re-did her room for her birthday present, she would sleep through the night and I wouldn't be awoken to her elbow in my eye ball every night.  So this time we used our parental smarts, and instead of filling her room with unsightly, ability to scare, flower paraphernalia, we lovingly incorporated everything beloved by Callie... that is, all things Disney.  So now when she wakes in the middle of the night, she will face Mickey, Minnie, and Belle pictures staring back at her.  And when she is sent to her room for time outs, she can now snuggle with Daisy and Goofy.  And what little girl doesn't need a purple chandelier to make the room a little more girly?  Well, honestly, most girls don't.  But this girl got hers for free when I spray painted our ugly brass one left over from the dining room redo.  All in all, I would say it was a nice purpley change on a nice and snug budget.  And so far, she has stayed in it for 2 nights and counting... with no midnight terrors of flowers anywhere in sight.  Totally worth it for us. 


Before: Scary Flower


After

After... No more Flowers, just Sunshine















2 comments:

  1. very cute... i loved the flower...can you come paint at our house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Kim! Very tastefully purple :)Eli's favorite color is purple right now too. Maybe they can have a slumber party in there.

    ReplyDelete