Saturday, November 27, 2010

Turkey Lurkey

This weekend Kevin and I entered adulthood.  Being married for 8 years, 3 kids, 1 law degree, and a house just didn't cut it for us.  But hosting Thanksgiving?  Now that orbits you into another level of maturity.  And I am proud to say that we survived, and I'm pretty sure that most, if not all of our guests enjoyed themselves.  They may not have all gotten a pleasant night of sleep... due to Jack and Charlie's shenanigans every night... but they were well fed with great conversation. 
No small thanks to everyone who pitched in too.  From my parents who brought almost their entire kitchen with them in the van, including a smorgasbord of pies.. to my sister who stuck it out with little Norah being trampled on by lots of crazy boys, to Kevin's parents who kept the alcohol flowing.. to my sweet sister in law Mandi who basically cooked the entire meal herself.  And we were also excited that our Chicago fam joined in on the fun.  Apparently, our house is the perfect middle point on the map between Illinois, and Columbus. It was a beautiful collaboration of lots of different talents and giving.  And we are so very thankful that the melting of the two families can get along so well.  No crazy in laws here.  Just really kind families who make it so special.
The highlights of the day are as follows:
  • My house didn't burn down while cooking a Turkey in the Laundry room
  • Everyone had a seat at the table, except Kevin who was our designated "floater" and kid table entertainment, extraordinaire
  • No food was spilled on my new chairs, Praise the Lord
  • We only had to have one Beer run... and now Kevin will have lots of after work stress relief left overs for the foreseeable future
  • I wore my first pair of leggings.. and didn't get weird looks
  • To my knowledge, no dishes were broken, and the china was out!
  • During a slow moment, my dad and Kevin's dad decided to clean out our master bathroom backed up sinks.  The result was 5 toothbrushes and 70 cents.  Gotta love those boys of mine.  Bonus: that's two thirds of the way to a breakfast burrito:)
Here are some pictures from the day...

The obligatory carving of the Turkey... My dad was happy to pass that to Kev


Some of the Family


After dinner comatose naps

Grandma Peggy and Papa Geoff with their 7 and counting Grandkids


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Next year I'm going back to my moms!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Kimmy, you ARE getting so grown up!!! Looks like so, so much fun. Everyone I've talked to said it was a blast! I'm beyond proud of you and cannot believe I missed the big event. PS--you cannot combine a post about Thanksgiving AND leggings...leggings TOTALLY deserves it's own!
    Hugs and kisses--S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, it was wonderful! Thanks for such sweet hospitality, and giving up your amazing king size bed to us for 3 nights!! My back loved that bed.

    ReplyDelete