Friday, September 24, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

If you know me well, you will know that I rave about how much I love sending Callie to her current preschool.  Yes, it is because of her lovely teachers, and yes, it is most definitely because she learns about Jesus and His love, and yes, it is because she makes wonderful friends there.
But my absolute FAVORITE part of the preschool experience has nothing to do with little Callie.  It's about her mommy.  And the friends that I make at preschool, and the relationships that I have built while standing in the pick up line, and the lovely play dates that I get to host. All because Callie went to preschool... and made her mommy some friends.
This year, as we ventured out on the first field trip, a fitting pumpkin patch for fall, I couldn't help but dwell on the strides that both Callie, and I, have made from pumpkin patch 2009 to pumpkin patch 2010. 
Last year, I clung to my freezing 3 year old, giving her the unknown responsibility of making me look needed, so as to not look alone amongst a sea of unfamiliar faces.  I would try to shoot out nice looking "Hey, I'll be your friend" smiles.. but no one seemed to pick them up, so I busied myself with fixing her hair, helping her pumpkin pick, ect.  As we drove back to the school, my passenger seat empty due to my bailing co-chaperon, I distinctly remember wondering whether or not I would ever make friends in this too-small, unfriendly, city of a home.
Enter fieldtripping 2010.  With one year of school under my belt (and Callie's), we both felt so much better equipped to handle a day out with friends and pumpkins. There was sunshine, there was pre-gaming coffee with four, yes FOUR friendly faces that I not only enjoy, but who have 4 lovely children who Callie adores too.  There were pictures where people wanted me to be in, and take of them.  And I'm pretty sure that when I threw out my "Hey let's be friends" smile... it was expected, because we were already friends to begin with.  And this time as I drove home, after driving with not only my mom, but a close chaperoning friend, I drove myself right over to a friends house, where the girls played, we ate, and I became thankful for the joys of school. 
All in all, I love preschool.  I think I am learning just as much about relationships and God's provisions for us as Callie is learning about the letter "G" and the number "3".  So if you find yourself in a place that's not home, in a city without friends, maybe you should try finding a preschool nearby.  There are sure to be some amazing women who would love to set up a play date.  In my opinion, it's never too late to go back to school. 

Here are some pictures from 2009 to 2010



Callie and friend Makenna

MY friend Jamie and her too cute Madison



Picking pumpkins (It was super windy)
The Year difference: Pumpkin Patch 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment