Monday, September 20, 2010

A Vow

I am going to make a new vow today for mom's of young kids everywhere.  This one is for the grocery store.  The parking lots, to be exact.  It's a vow to those lucky drivers who leisurely enjoy shopping trips without children, without crying, and without being embarrassed at every turn.  It's for those few who choose to wait for our spaces while we load up bags upon bags of lunch meat, toothpaste, and toilet paper, then wrestle our cranky children into crumb lined, smelly car seats, just so they can save themselves a few steps to the door.  Yes, this one is for you, oh impatient, lazy Parker.  You made a scene, so now I will write one.

When I see your blinker:
I promise that I will actually organize my groceries in the car, instead of quickly throwing the detergent on top of the bread
I promise that I will lovingly pause and kiss each of my children before placing them in their nasty car seats
I promise that I will have a conversation about Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and any other fictional character, before this car is placed in "Drive."
I promise I will turn on my DVD player, and perhaps watch the first few minutes of that DVD, before I even think about getting on the road.
I promise that I will check my voicemail, text messages, and my hair before moving from that spot.
I will discuss the benefits of coupons, the value of a dollar, and the signs of a true sale, before moving from that spot.
If I have to discipline, I won't wait until I get home, I will gladly let my kids have a full length time out, right then and there.
In other words:

If I can think of ANYTHING that I can possibly do from my car before I move, I will do it.  I don't enjoy making people wait, but I do enjoy taking my sweet old time if it will help mom's everywhere.  Go pick on an empty vehicle like yourselves, and be grateful for your peace. Locate someone whose stress level isn't already about to burst, and blink the daylights out of their space. I just made it out of the store with all of my children, my groceries, and most of my dignity.  So please keep yours, and move it along.

4 comments:

  1. must have been a really bad shopping experience... i will make sure i remember this fact in the last few days before baby hahah ;) LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you though it took me a while to come to the same conclusion. Only after the stroller wouldn't collapse and I had to chuck it into the van in its upright position did I wave to the person behind the blinker and vow never again.
    Hope you enjoy the blogging experience as much as I have. It's a great outlet and a good way for folks to keep up with you when you're far from home. When you have free time (haha) feel free to check out ours! http://justindanielle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danielle!
    I have actually looked at yours and like to keep up with everyone's kids, ect through blogs too:). Your kids are adorable. Thanks for enjoying the blog and commenting.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete