Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Those Were the Days

Not sure. Crazy Kids

Senior "Fall Formal"

Family Camping Trip
I'm sure more people end up marrying their high school sweetheart than I realize.  (I did, my sisters both did, and about 10% of our senior class did).  And why not?  High school stinks for most people - the ones who say it's the best time of your life are lying.  They were probably just popular bullies.  So if you find someone that makes you feel like a million bucks, why not hang onto them for the rest of your life?  Assuming, of course, that they don't turn around and dump you the moment college comes. 

I've been enjoying a few days of  nostalgia while we have been house bound by a sick 4 yr old.  Combine that with searching the house for new, older pictures to hang in our bedroom, and I found myself sitting in front of Kevin's "Things worth remembering" box.  (I made him widdle it down to one box to keep the really important details of the past.  No need to have a basement full:).   So as I pulled out odds and ends that I'm still not sure why he felt they were worth remembering: (piano books?), I also pulled out a gold mine of old emails during our high school days.  Gross, I'm sure my family is thinking about now.  Yes, I'll admit, we find no shame in grossing people out with affection.  So why stop now?

A years worth of daily emails that we have kept in a Christmas tin were pretty cool to read through.  I'm still convinced that I would have married Kevin after our first date - That is, if we weren't living with our parents, and in high school. And although reading them has made me grateful for the growth in my writing skills,  it also made me grateful for this relationship that we somehow knew would last way back in our Junior year.  Our parents were terrified, (I would be if that were my kid).  And I'm positive that they had some good laughs over our letters that we left laying around the house way too often.  Yet they had the wisdom to encourage us because they must have known too. 

So now, they are good for this mom to read. Especially on the days where enough sleep didn't happen, and my big blue bathrobe is the cutest outfit I could find.  I have been reminded that this life we are living now is what we hoped for back then.  That our "Someday" as we called it, has already come.  A reason why I refuse to let the tune, "Back to reality" be hummed here.  Our reality is pretty great, even on the days when kids scream, and work sucks.  And I am as sure now, as I was back then, that I will still follow you anywhere, Kevin Mitchell.  It's all I wanted back then, and it's really all I want right now.   Three cheers for email back in the 90's.. and an extra three cheers for high school.  - even if I want to block the rest out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you and Kevin chose each other and continue to choose each other. You are a great example of committed love. And your pictures are darn cute too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha loved those pictures... so glad you two love birds are still crazy about each other!!!

    ReplyDelete