Sunday, March 13, 2011

Things I've Learned about Being Cheap

First of all.. I will be honest.  There are things I'm not cheap about.  For one, I just can't compromise about Gap Jeans.  I love them, and I won't go back.  But even saying that, they are basic compared to some brands.  Second, if I find a Pottery Barn sale, I will buy it if I can afford it.  (Did you see the previous post on the boys room?).  And currently, although I do not cut or color my hair frequently, I will not go cheap with that either.  My years of Kevin in law school, and about 4 different home done colors can attest to that.  Currently it is way longer than I prefer, but when the good cuts are few and far between, I've learned to always be armed with a rubber band.  Ponytails can hide a plethora of hair sins.  Plus, I can always send the rest of the fam to Great Clips $5.99 special.  I'll take the savings for myself, thank you very much.

With the above disclaimer, disclaimed, here are a few important facts that I have learned during our years on a cash only grocery budget.  The first, and this mainly applies only to pregnancy months, is that the grocery budget will be larger.  Growing babies demand certain things at certain times.  And I have learned that if I do not feed this baby such things as a Bacon Turkey Bravo from Panera exactly when this baby wants it... the words "Bacon Turkey Bravo" will be in my thoughts in 10 minute increments until I feed that baby its sandwich.  Good thing I ate one today so that I can move on to the next craving.

Second.   Dishwasher soap matters.  Value Brand does not work.  Take my word, and the weird white crust on most of my stainless steel pans for example.  Cascade has a big job ahead, but I am confident that along with his newer, and yes, more expensive friend, Jet Dry, they are capable to clean up the mess.

Third.  Cheap primer also, is not worth the cost savings.  If you want to easily paint over stained woodwork, my suggestion is to invest in some good (and not even expensive) better brand of Zinsser primer.  It just works better.  And bonus, when the kids accidentally scrape against it, your hard work won't be wiped off like butter.

Third.  Jack's brand pizza should not be consumed by anyone, anywhere.  After really trying to cut down our Frozen Pizza Monday budget (from a whopping $5.99).. we decided that we were, in fact, not that poor to make ourselves eat this anymore.  Therefore, this family will be enjoying the luxury of DiGiorno's, or even Tombstone, before we ever inhale a Jack's again.  There are some things that should simply stay frozen.

Finally, although the above seem to suggest that brand names are better, I am far from those thoughts.  I will store brand my way through the cereal, crackers, peanut butter, bread and milk aisles like no one's business.  Money can be saved.  Just not on everything.  Sometimes you have to realize that peace of mind, and ease of dishes and a good fit can out weigh any amounts of left over cash in the piggy bank.  And that, friends, is how we stay on budget, and in a good mood.

4 comments:

  1. Not to sentence your boys to to occasional bad haircut that my son sometimes sports, BUT you could buy a set of hair clippers for $20 and that will cover the cost of their haircuts for the next, oh, 5 years or more! I have not paid for a salon cut for my son for AT LEAST 4 years! Cha-ching. Of course, this was not ALL because of the budget. It was because he would scream bloody murder every time and I got tired of it!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT - splurge when pregnant the baby DOES need those panera sandwiches... when are you coming to columbus next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa-- we do "homedone" haircuts as well! I've cut my husband's hair for the last 10 or so years, and now my little boys as well. Saves a ton of money! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously girls... I have tried. My boys look like they have been through a butcher when I'm through with them. And Kevin and I decided a long time ago that in order for us to succeed in our marriage, he must go get his haircut by someone other than me. Minus the one time that they shaved his side burns off, and we had to pretend like we were from the back country, they've done alright with his locks. And we get along so much better for it!

    ReplyDelete