Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Thought




I knew that I wanted to be a mom from the time that I stopped babysitting.  I knew that if I didn't have to worry about a parent looking over my shoulder, I may start to enjoy the job.  I was correct.  Babysitting is so not like mothering. 
In the daily grind, it's wonderful to be able to stay home and be with my kids.  Although being a slight double edged sword (you love them, but you never get a break from them).. it is nonetheless a double edged sword with a blunt end.  It's totally worth every minute.  Yet sometimes encouragement is needed, when spirits are a bit low, and the purpose of the whole adventure has been lost amongst the laundry, cleaning, and tons of poo. 
That is where I consider myself a lucky girl, with a wise God and a smart husband.  A wise God that reveals peace to me in his Truth, and a smart husband who interprets a lot of that truth into ideas that I can understand while gulping coffee with my tired brain.  So whether or not my stress meter is controlled or not, my soul has been resting peacefully in the encouraging words of Jesus. 

Mark 9:37 "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."  And again, Mark 10:14 "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." 

It's an amazing and humbling task to be a mom.  If my job is also the gateway to introducing little ones to their heavenly Father, then bring on the laundry, the snacks, the crying, and the lessons.  My husband reminds me that in no other job can a family line be so impacted than the role of a parent.  Impact the lives of three loving children, who each have three more loving children, who each then have three more, and the world will soon be changed.  Not something that is usually recognized as the dishes are cleaned or the floors scrubbed.  But the kids are watching.  They are learning who my God is by watching who I am because of Him.  They will hopefully walk to His arms because we let them run to ours. 

So take heart tired moms.  There is a real purpose as to why we are doing what we are doing.  It might not make us money, and it might not be featured on Anderson Coopers 10 most amazing people of the year.  But it matters.  It matters so much that it can make an eternal difference. 

Happy dishes everyone.  Happy dishes. 
(You better believe that's me on the the trampoline.  I'm not ashamed.  No Way)

2 comments:

  1. Kim,
    Tracey and I have decided that you need to update your blog on a daily basis. I look to you for all my parenting advice. I thought that you should know that by not updating your blog you could quite possibly be delaying Cory's growth as a child. I can't see any good reason for you not to update daily. You only have three kids and two of them should really count as one since they are twins. I mean its basically the same person twice. How difficult could that really be?

    ReplyDelete