Monday, February 28, 2011

Big Boys: Big Beds

The boys have officially moved out of our storage room, into their new big boy bedroom.  And although after looking at these pictures, I'm now fully convinced that I need a new camera (yeah right).... they at least give some semblance of what it looks like in person (which is totally better in my opinion).   Guess you all just have to come over and visit me now to Really see it.

This one took a bit longer than the one weekend that we originally planned.  You get two artsey people together in a room... and ideas start magnifying themselves until one of us (usually level headed Kevin) puts the breaks on my crazy "but we could do that in an hour" ideas.  However he is the one who ever so lovingly made little Thomas and Percy the Trains come to life.  And they say that doodling is worthless.  

Now if we could only get Charlie to stop falling out of bed every night, things would seem perfect.  And don't worry all you crazy safety mothers, I am one too.  I just took off the bed rails for the picture because it looked more like a hospital recovery room than a cute little boy's room.  Nevertheless.. Charlie Still falls out.  Bed rails and all! 

Oh yes, and the most exciting thing that we learned from the room?   As I tried to skimp with cheeper accessories because I had gotten the quilts from Pottery Barn (once you fall in love... there's just no going back)... I got the window hardware from Walmart.  To which I'm pretty sure Kevin almost had a nervous breakdown putting up.  Apparently going cheep isn't always the best way.  They don't find it necessary to include the right size anchors for the specific screws at that store.  BUT, my redo friends, then it got magical. 

As Kevin later put up the cute little wall light that I got on super sale at Pottery Barn Kids... he was convinced.  I think it was the easiest set up that we've ever done.  Not an eyebrow in sight.  And so, right then and there, I got a confession from my skeptical re-doing husband that yes, indeed, things purchased at Pottery Barn are worth the sale price.  They find it very necessary to include perfect anchors with perfect screws.  Quality, pure, good looking quality.  Even though I don't have the go ahead to purchase every item in their catalogue like I would dream of... at least I have a little bit less convincing to do if I should ever want to order something fabulous again from them.

And I must give one final acknowledgement to his chalk board skills too.  I asked for Jack and Charlie super hero's.. and Kevin produced a master piece.  We thought getting them familiar with toilets by staring at a cool one every morning and night would perhaps help with the potty training process?   We can only dream, I guess. 

Enjoy the pictures!

Before: Messy Chaos


I'm the painter... Kevin's the creator


Progress


Chalk board paint... for those home schooling days to come:)

 



Tracey: attention to shelf... we still have it displayed!


Mostly happy boys, in thier new room

"Chuck and Jack meet Mr. Flusher"

5 comments:

  1. Looks really good Kimmy! Why you were up at 5:41am to post this was hopefully to enjoy a little P & Q and not because Charlie fell out of bed. Eli is packed and ready for his first sleep-over in the new digs. Has sleeping bag, will travel anywhere. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered the same madras bedding for Duncan's toddler bed since we are pulling his crib out from underneath him when baby #3 arrives in Sept. Those darn Pottery Barn catalogs just suck you right into their magical kid room worlds. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, it looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim - Super cute. I meant to go peek in person today... can't imagine why i forgot. ;)

    You two are a good team!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, I never saw the finished product. It turned out really cute!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete