Saturday, March 22, 2014

Completed Stairs

This blog has been neglected; we've been busy.  Family life, has been kicking along, kids are deep into whatever kids do when days upon days of academics get cancelled due to mounds upon mounds of snow, I have completed the stair project with quite happy results, a vacation happened, because we needed a break from what the kids were doing when the snow came down, and now here we are. 

It's also full fledged into the season of Lent for these baby Catholics, and as a result, design was one of the first items on my list to purge for forty days in getting myself mentally and spiritually ready for the Easter celebration. (for those of you really interested in this last statement, my thoughts along these lines are hanging out at the other "secret but not so secret anymore," blog.  Go here, if you are interested.. www.thefullnessblog.blogspot.com).  Anyway, because I have taken a physical break from hand tools and power saws, doesn't mean I can't give a quick photo update for phase three, and any other fun happenings.

The original plan called for true to touch wall board under the board and batten along the steps.  However in this phase of stair remodeling, I had about reached my limit with mess and dust and I found myself overwhelmed as I stood in the wall coverings section of Lowes.  It was decided (along with the yes, yes's!! from the husband), that painting the drywall with a glossy white paint and establishing a mock wooden wall would be just fine for this weary DIYer.   The main criteria was that it had to be able to withstand the occasional pizza sauced hand. (I'm a cheap gal when it comes to the paper products isle), which we thought it could. 

We saved our sanity and splurged our wallets a bit to have a pro come in and install the hardwood in the hallway.  After sitting there night after night, trying to strategize how one installs wood floors without completely botching the job, it dawned on me:  You call a pro and enjoy your evenings.  Totally worth every penny. 

Here's the progress pictures

Not the pro, but the one who tolerates numbers and measuring way more than I do.  Which is why the trim is straight.

First coats of primer



Board and Batten

Target Café Rods turned Fake Out Stair Rods

Wood Floor... A little reward every time I go upstairs

 
 
 
                           











And for a comparison from beginning to end.  I think I can confidently claim that project staircase has been a success. 



AND WHEN ALL THE PROJECTS WERE COMPLETED, THE BOYS SAID....




Exactly how I felt, boys.  Exactly.

After my Lenten fast, I would like to add a frame wall to the stairway.  I'm collecting images in my head right now that would make me smile every time I have to run upstairs to grab someone's missing socks.  Under that criteria, there will probably be a lot of vacation scenes and a few Jesus pictures.  Because if I'm not leaning towards smiling, I should probably be reminded to pray!


No comments:

Post a Comment