Monday, December 30, 2013

Stairway to Heaven

I have dreamt for years about the day when I could rip away the carpet from my stairs and replace the Stairway of a thousand nasty stains with a gorgeous stairway to the upstairs heaven.  That day happened a few weeks ago.  We had been in talks for a while.  I actually surprised myself with how patient I was from the time of the talks to the time of action.  Usually I am one week or less girl.  I like to think it and then act.  Maybe my older and wiser age of 31 is ushering in a more peaceful DIYer that can stop and plan out all angles (cost and all) before plugging in a saw or two.  If only Kevin would know that my brain inwardly is moving a thousand times faster than my body.. he could appreciate the "delay" in projects!

This redo job was going to have to be split up into at least three phases.  Phase one consisted of removal of the old gross stuff... cutting of the new treads and risers, creating my own personal tool to help get the job done better, of which I copied off of another crazy homeowners blog, and sanding, staining, and polying  those steps so the kids could once again walk to bed without danger of falling through the basement ceiling. 

Phase two would include install of our new hip striped runner rug from Dash and Albert, and installing new wood floor on the upstairs hallway (carpet got ripped out due to a multi year ago entire paint can spill). 

Phase three, if I was still alive, if Kevin was still on board, and if I hadn't cut off any limbs from my previous dates with every saw in the garage, was to install wall board, or board and batton moulding alongside the stairway on my huge blank two story wall, currently being filled up by sticky hand prints and the occasional booger slide on the way to bed. 

We are now about to enter Phase two.  The rug is here, but the wood floor is not.  And everything depends on something else. Phase one was largely done while Kevin was out of town in trial for a few days.  I enjoy having late nights and something to do beside making a thousand peanut butter and jelly meals and feeling lonely after 7:30pm.  I thrive on being a bit crazy, sleep deprived, and under a time crunch.  I blame my genes for that.  

This project I mastered a new tool: the Router.  To which I am now a huge fan.  The Table saw, chop saw, and a hand sander were also in the mix.  I've decided though, that I am in desperate need of a few more tools for the garage... there is always something to make the job easier, of that, I am sure. 

Here are some pictures of the progress.  After the rug goes up, I may just take a few naps on my steps to really appreciate the hard work, and the lack of gross vacuuming that will need to commence.  The sheer amount of dirt hiding under that carpet was enough to make my impatient (old) self jump up and remove the rest of the carpet from the rest of the house.  But then I remembered I was calm, and patient.  And I decided to make my brain focus on one destroyed situation at a time.  It makes for a better marriage and a better budget. 

The beginning.. and a cute little boy


This is what 25 year old padding looks like.

Brown pile of sand like substance hiding under every stair. 

Better

My version of "home" school.

Routing while my 5 year old shovels.  Isn't that what normal families do?
I was so impressed by my tool that I am willing to put up this horrible picture of myself, just to show it off. (This is what happens when Kevin goes out of town). 

 


Multiple cuts, sanding, tweaks, staining, and nails later.. this is the mostly finished product




Kevin came home and helped me finish with the final decorative trim


Phase 1: Complete. 
 
 Hopefully Phase II can come quickly.  Bring on the cute new runner that even has Kevin smiling!




No comments:

Post a Comment